Business Crime and Regulatory Disputes
Businesses and organisations in the UK are under ever increasing pressure to remain within the strict regulatory framework set by the Government and other national and international institutions.
These regulations and laws place an additional pressure and responsibility on companies and their employees, which is why when things go wrong the consequences can be extremely serious not just for the business, but also for the individuals associated alongside it.
The changing landscape of corporate crime now demands that businesses take early, preventative measures in order to minimise risk and uncertainty. Our team can advise on these measures and help to implement them throughout your business.
This department, based in our firm’s London office, is experienced in defending both individuals and businesses in matters involving regulatory enforcement and white collar crime.
We also have significant expertise in defending individuals and organisations facing investigating by sporting organisations, and work very closely with our expert sports law team to provide a full range of services.
We can assist you and your business with:
- Commercial and civil fraud
- Investigations by the SFO, HMRC, NCA and FCA
- FCA compliance and enforcement
- Asset tracing, restraint, cash seizure and forfeiture proceedings
- Corporate “failure to prevent offences”
- Corporate manslaughter
- Health and safety
- Internal investigations, risk assessments and compliance programmes
- Dawn raids and crisis management
- Regulatory proceedings against all professional bodies
- Using your Mobile Phone Whilst Driving – New Penalties
Our recent cases include:
- Achieving a nil order for a client facing confiscation proceedings of over £1m
- Acting for corporates in respect of high value cash seizure and subsequent forfeiture proceedings
- Acting for high-net worth individuals facing proceedings brought by HMRC
- Defending a high profile client for both regulatory and criminal proceedings brought by a sports body against allegations of child cruelty and abuse
- Defending a local youth football team against disqualification proceedings brought by the FA
- Acting for a night club on the revocation of its license following a serious incident.
Thanks to our founding of Mackrell International 30 years ago, a network of independent law firms worldwide consisting of 94 firms comprising of 5,000 lawyers working in 60 countries – we are also able to assist businesses and individuals with multi-jurisdictional work.