Blankney Estates Ltd – a farming company – has been fined after its health and safety failings were responsible for a family being exposed to dangerous levels of deadly asbestos dust.

The family in question included a three-year-old girl, and they had been living in one of the company’s rented properties in Scopwick, Lincolnshire.

However, Lincoln Crown Court heard that Blankney Estates Ltd did not take the necessary steps to ensure that the property was maintained in line with health and safety legislation.

As a result, asbestos materials that posed a serious health risk to the tenants were not appropriately dealt with.

The Judge presiding over the case fined Blankney Estates Ltd £50,000 and ordered the company to pay £20,000 in costs after it pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

In connection with the removal of an asbestos-lagged tank at the same property, the court also served fines to plumbing company Michael Grace Ltd, as well as Adam and John Thurlby, who were directors of a demolition company (ART Dismantling Co Ltd).

Adam and John Thurlby were each served with identical fines of £12,500 and both were ordered to pay £15,000 in costs, split equally between them, for breaking five Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2006.

Michael Grace Ltd, which was registered at a London address but traded in Lincolnshire, was fined £10,000 plus £5,000 in costs after pleading guilty to three CAR offences.

Asbestos causes approximately 5,000 deaths every year and landlords are being reminded that they have a legal duty to ensure they adhere to health and safety guidelines.