Tom joined Mackrell Turner Garrett’s London Litigation and Dispute Resolution team in November 2015 having spent over ten years in mid-size London practice.
Tom is a dispute resolution specialist who focuses on disputes conducted in the High Court in London and through arbitration. He manages disputes throughout the litigation process, whether that be from the pre action stage to trial and enforcement or whether the matter is resolved through negotiation between the parties. He also regularly deals with challenges to the jurisdiction of the English Courts, issues concerning the choice of law, and obtaining or opposing injunctive relief.
Tom acts for both businesses and individuals based in the United Kingdom and across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia in a range of sectors, including real estate development, financial services, technology, and natural resources.
Examples of his recent work include;
- Acting for a multi-national foreign exchange business to obtain a Worldwide Freezing Injunction in relation to a complex contractual dispute involving four Commercial Court claims and two LCIA Arbitrations – all running simultaneously.
- Acting in an LCIA Arbitration in relation to a dispute over an agreement for the funding of the purchase of a state owned utility company in West Africa.
- Acting for a British Virgin Islands entity in a contest to the jurisdiction of the Courts of the British Virgin Islands on the basis of another jurisdiction being deemed more appropriate to hear the matter.
- Acting for a mining engineering consultancy in Technology and Construction Court claim in relation to a major dispute over the supply of services relating to a mining project in West Africa.
- Acting for an IT managed services provider in responding to an application for an on notice mandatory injunction brought in the Technology and Construction Court by one of its customers in connection with a data migration project.
- Acting for a Claimant in obtaining a prohibitory injunction to prevent the use of a customer database by a former employee and her new employer.