Elliott joined the firm as part of the fast-growing Cannabis Law team. He has played a key role in the development of the Cannabis Law team and has become well-known within the industry for his expertise.
He is now establishing greater recognition for the firm through the development and growth of a dedicated psychoactive medicines team, which is collaborating with some of the leading lights in this exciting area of research.
Using his deep understanding of UK and international drug regulation, he can assist with a wide range of issues affecting businesses in these emerging industries.
Elliott is keenly interested in drug policy reform and regulation and is a supporting community member of the organisation DrugScience – the leading independent scientific body on drugs in the UK. It works to provide clear, evidence-based information to the public and institutions without political or commercial interference.
Prior to joining the firm, Elliott worked in a regulatory role as a solicitor for major investment banking institution, Credit Suisse, Elliott has a strong background advising on a range of complex legal issues. Before joining the world of banking, Elliott worked as a specialist litigation paralegal at a ‘Magic Circle’ law firm.
He is part of the firm’s stated intent to be at the forefront of legal developments in medicinal cannabis and other psychoactive substances so that he can provide clients with advice on these emerging areas of law.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Certificate in Medical Cannabis from the University of Colorado
Awards and accreditations
- Global Law Experts – Medical Cannabis
- Spear’s 500 – Distinguished Individual
- Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers (Cannabis Law Report)
- Lawyer Monthly – Medical Cannabis – Where are we now?
- Cannabis Confusion: Wellness vs Medical with Professor Mike Barnes
- Cannabis Legalisation News – Is Cannabis Legal in the UK?
- The Times – “CBD products cannot be sold without safety tests” (Interviewed / quoted)
- com – “Only in America? The UK Firms Betting On The Fledgling Cannabis Market” (Interviewed / quoted)
- Positive Outlooks for the Cannabis Sector
- Medical Cannabis Network “Recognition of CBD as Novel Food could have industry ramifications” (Quoted)
- Acting for the world’s largest cannabis trades body on a Novel Foods issue, including representation during live negotiations with the Food Standards Agency.
- Making representations to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate on behalf of an international pet food brand, resulting in no further enforcement action being taken.
- Making representations to the DVLA on behalf of a medical cannabis patient, resulting in restoration of driving entitlements (originally suspended for cannabis use).
- Application for a high THC (Controlled Drugs) cultivation licence for a medical cannabis start-up.
- Negotiating with Trading Standards on behalf of a CBD foods company, to limit enforcement action, following breaches of various regulations.
- Providing regulatory advice to a global CBD brand on the legality of their UK operations
- Engaging with the UK Border Force for restoration of seized goods.