Ricardo joined the firm in 2020 as part of fast-growing Cannabis Law team as a Senior Associate.
Ricardo has a genuine interest in drug policy reform and regulation particularly the legal developments in medicinal cannabis and other psychoactive substances.
Ricardo has over 12 years’ experience both in private practice, in-house and as a non-executive director. This has given him the ability to work effectively under pressure, managing diverse and complex contentious and non-contentious caseloads for medium to large multinational brands on a variety of legal and challenging issues.
Ricardo was previously senior associate for a well-known west-end firm where he was part of the dispute resolution team. He handled a wide range of commercial and contractual disputes both in the UK, Europe, North and South America. A vast amount of the disputes related to spread betting and contracts for differences (CFDs) acting for various recognised corporates offering these types of derivative products. It was here that Ricardo gained his regulatory and compliance experience as his clients’ cases often involved complaints to or investigations by FCA and/or FOS.
Ricardo has also been involved in matters concerning Russian and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Before joining the firm Ricardo was General Counsel for a technology company in the ID authentication and security sector. As General Counsel he had a multi-faceted role that required him to deal with many different aspects of the business from management level right through to operational levels. He therefore understands the in-house legal department of a business and expectations and constraints that need to be overcome.
He has also helped many start-up companies. His exposure here has led him to deal with corporate and commercial matters in the UK, Europe, Asia and South America. Ricardo therefore understands the opportunities and challenges that businesses face.
Ricardo’s in-house and international coverage makes him commercially incisive and invaluable solicitor to his clients. Those who have worked with him have described him as a pragmatic, strategic and solution focused business partner.
Ricardo speaks English and Portuguese.
Since joining Mackrell’s Cannabis Law Team Ricardo has been involved in the following:
- Advising clients in respect of regulation in the UK, EU and abroad (over 15 countries covered) regarding the legality of: (i) vaping products (e-cigarettes and e-liquids), (ii) cosmetics, (iii) Medicinal Cannabis products, (iv) food supplements, and (v) food products.
- Some of the Regulations covered: Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001, Consumer Products and Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Human Medicines Regulations 2012 (guidance given by the UK Regulator – Medicines & Health products Regulatory Agency (“MHRA”), EU Cosmetics Regulations (EC – No. 1223/2009), The Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016 (including the Tobacco Products Directive) and General Product Safety Regulations 2005.
- Conducting marking reviews of clients CBD product lines and websites making sure they adhere to relevant regulations depending on the type of product in question.
- Review and advising clients in relation to certificates of analysis (CoAs) in respect of the levels of THC contained within the specified product, ensuring such levels are within the permitted amounts as set out by the laws and regulations of those countries the client intends to export too.
- Advising clients in respect of product seizures by boarder force agencies. Successfully getting products released and also obtaining damages for a client where that clients product line had been destroyed by UK Border Force.
- Advising clients in respect of Controlled Drug Licence.
- Advising clients in respect of Industrial Hemp Cultivation applications in the UK and assisting with the applications process.
- Solicitor, England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland