Head of Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group
James joined Mackrell Turner Garrett’s London office in 2005 following a number of years spent at the Spanish international law firm Mullerat and at various large Australian law firms and the European Commission. He became a partner in 2011.
He is a commercial litigation specialist, who is particularly experienced in handling complex commercial litigation involving commercial contracts, financial services, fraud, insurance, international trade, joint-ventures, shareholder and share purchase disputes and regulatory actions as well as cross-border disputes and enforcement actions in a wide number of jurisdictions.
James also has an active intellectual property disputes practice which has seen him previously nominated as intellectual property lawyer of the year.
James acts for both claimants and defendants and practices in the High Court of England and Wales, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court as well as in various off-shore jurisdictions (such as the British Virgin Islands).
James is also an Arbitration Team Leader in the firm’s International Arbitration team. James has a regular caseload involving arbitrations in the LCIA, ICC and ICSID amongst others.
Examples of his recent court and arbitration work include:
- Complex commercial litigation involving claims in a number of jurisdictions including both High Court litigation and Arbitration.
- Obtaining worldwide freezing injunctions in support of claims brought in England and abroad and also successfully discharging and defending a number of worldwide freezing obtained against his clients – again both in High Court claims and Arbitrations.
- Appearing in the BVI to challenge the BVI court’s jurisdiction over his client.
- Insolvency litigation including directors’ duties and directors’ disqualification.
- Contractual disputes.
- Enforcement of UK judgments abroad and foreign judgments in the UK.
- IT and intellectual property disputes.
- Acting in high value, catastrophic personal injury claims for injuries suffered abroad.
Using his Spanish language, James has a niche practice in foreign accident claims acting regularly for hotels in Europe and the Caribbean.
James is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only association whose members are selected on the basis of excellence and accomplishment in litigation.