Elliott joined the firm as part of the fast-growing Cannabis Law team. He has played a key role in the development of the Cannabis Law team and has become well-known within the industry for his expertise.
He is now establishing greater recognition for the firm through the development and growth of a dedicated psychoactive medicines team, which is collaborating with some of the leading lights in this exciting area of research.
Using his deep understanding of UK and international drug regulation, he can assist with a wide range of issues affecting businesses in these emerging industries.
Elliott is keenly interested in drug policy reform and regulation and is a supporting community member of the organisation DrugScience – the leading independent scientific body on drugs in the UK. It works to provide clear, evidence-based information to the public and institutions without political or commercial interference.
Prior to joining the firm, Elliott worked in a regulatory role as a solicitor for major investment banking institution, Credit Suisse, Elliott has a strong background advising on a range of complex legal issues. Before joining the world of banking, Elliott worked as a specialist litigation paralegal at a ‘Magic Circle’ law firm.
He is part of the firm’s stated intent to be at the forefront of legal developments in medicinal cannabis and other psychoactive substances so that he can provide clients with advice on these emerging areas of law.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Certificate in Medical Cannabis from the University of Colorado
Awards and accreditations
- Psychedelic Medicines Lawyer of the Year (ACQ 5 Law Awards)
- Global Law Experts – Recommended in the Medical Cannabis category
- Spear’s 500 – Recognised in the Distinguished Individual category
- Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers (Cannabis Law Report)
- Will psychedelics be regulated like cannabis? - New Business
- Chambers & Partners - Medical Cannabis Global Practice Guide
- UK Medical Cannabis & CBD Market - Discussion Paper: 10 Recommendations for Government
- Lawyer Monthly – Medical Cannabis – Where are we now?
- Cannabis Confusion: Wellness vs Medical with Professor Mike Barnes
- Cannabis Legalisation News – Is Cannabis Legal in the UK?
- The Times – “CBD products cannot be sold without safety tests” (Interviewed / quoted)
- Advising a psychedelics wellness company on their commercial contracts and international regulatory compliance
- Assisting a not-for-profit psychedelic medicines organisation on trademark registration, and application to the Charity Commission.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company in relation to the stagnation of a Schedule 1 Home Office Controlled Drugs Licence.
- Preparing a Schedule 1 Controlled Drug Licence application on behalf of a start-up.
- Advising a psychedelic medicines company in relation to their IP & regulatory approvals strategy, and accelerated approvals routes
- Advising in relation to an MHRA Wholesale Dealers’ licence, including psychotropic and narcotic considerations
- Producing an advice note setting out the regulatory landscape for the manufacture and supply of schedule 1 psychoactive medicines in the UK.
- Advising in relation to the establishment of a clinic looking to provide treatments involving psychoactive substances, in schedule 1 and schedule 2.
- Regulations recently covered: Human Medicines Regulations 2012, Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001, Psychoactive Substances Act 2016, Misuse of Drugs (Safe Custody) Regulations 1973, The Medicines (Products for Human Use) (Fees) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/532), The Misuse of Drugs (Designation) (England, Wales and Scotland) Order 2015.
Podcasts and media